2018 Diaego sportMoray Recognition Awards
The 2018 sportMoray Recognition Awards will be taking place on Monday 29th October 2018 at Elgin Town Hall. sportMoray are delighted to announce that Diageo have kindly offered to be the overall sponsor for the 2018 event. The Recognition Awards is an annual event that recognises individuals and teams from Moray that have contributed or achieved a great deal in their chosen sport/physical activity at recreational, regional, national or international level. The Awards were introduced in 1999, yet this is the first year the event has managed to enlist an overall sponsor. Diageo have been a long running sponsor of the Club Level Award within this event but this year they were keen to provide even more support to this pinnacle sporting event in the Moray calendar. Sean Pritchard, Supply Operations Manager, Diageo said “We are proud to be principal sponsor for this year’s awards recognising and celebrating the many athletes, coaches, groups and organisations in Moray who are excelling in their given field.”
As like 2017, there will be 14 categories of Awards presented on the night, 13 of which can be nominated by the public. Due to the success of this event over the years, 13 of the Award Sponsors from last year have continued their sponsorship offer for 2018 which is great news for the organisers. We have one new Award Sponsor for 2018 Moray Trophies Ltd from Lossiemouth. Moray Trophies Ltd will be the new sponsor of the Junior Sports Athlete Award. Nominations for the categories will open from Monday 27th August and can be submitted via an online form on this website. Alternatively the form can be downloaded here Nomination Form 2018 or it can be emailed on request by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
The nominations will remain open until Fri 28th September.
The awards are as follows:
SALSC Local Service to Sport Award: This award is for an individual administrator, coach or official for their voluntary contribution to local sport over a lengthy period of time – minimum of 10 Years. Sponsor is the Scottish Association of Local Sports Councils.
Junior Sports Athlete Award: This award is for a male or female sports athlete currently between the ages of 9-13yrs (on 29 Oct 2018) who has achieved excellence at either a local, regional, national or international level. Sponsor is Moray Trophies Ltd.
Veteran Sports Athlete Award: This award is for a male or female sports athlete aged 40yrs or over (on 29 Oct 2018) or who is classified as a veteran or super veteran in their chosen sport who has achieved excellence at either a regional, national or international level. Sponsor is Springfield Properties.
Intermediate Team Award: This award is for a team that has achieved excellence at either a regional, national or international level. The team must be made up of players between the ages of 12-18yrs (on 29 Oct 2018). Sponsor is The Northern Scot.
Senior Team Award: This award is for a team that has achieved excellence at regional, national or international level. Sponsor is Gordon & MacPhail.
Coach Award: This award is for an individual who has contributed locally to the development of sport through coaching at their chosen level. Sponsor is sportMoray.
Club Level Award: This award is for an individual sports person who has made a valuable contribution at club level. Sponsor is Diageo.
Community Engagement Award: This award is for a group, club or organisation that has built an excellent relationship with a specific community to get them more active through physical activity or sport. The ‘community’ targeted by this group/club could be a local village, housing area or it could be a ‘community’ such as older people, young mums, disabled etc. Sponsor is NHS Grampian.
School Sport Volunteer Award: This award will recognise the dedication of an individual, whether it is a parent, teacher or other, who has made an outstanding contribution to an extra-curricular activity. Sponsor is Active Schools.
Special Achievement Award: This special award will be given to an individual who has attained an outstanding personal achievement in sport through overcoming adversity. Sponsor is Elgin Rotary Club.
Intermediate Sportsman Award: This award is for a male sports person who has achieved excellence at either a regional, national or international level and who is aged between 14-17yrs (on 29 Oct 2018). Sponsor is Moray College.
The Heather Stanning Award (Intermediate Sportswoman): This award is for a female sports person who has achieved excellence at either a regional, national or international level and is aged between 14-17yrs (on 29 Oct 2018). Sponsor is Moray Council.
Senior Sports Athlete of the Year: This award is for an individual who has achieved excellence at a regional, national or international level. Nominees for this award must be between 18-39yrs of age. Sponsor is Forsyths Ltd.
Sports Personality of the Year (not a public nomination category): The Sports Personality of the Year Award will be decided by the selection panel and will be decided between the winners of the following categories – junior sports athlete, veteran sports athlete, special achievement, intermediate sportsman, intermediate sportswoman, and senior sports athlete Awards. Sponsor is Campbell and McConnachie Chartered Financial Planners.
N.B. People that are nominated for these Awards may also be nominated into the sportscotland Annual Awards if they meet the stipulated criteria.
- Individuals or clubs may submit nominations for one or more categories.
- A nominee can only be entered into one category.
- Junior Sports Athlete, Veteran Sports Athlete, Intermediate Team, Senior Team, Intermediate Sportsman, Intermediate Sportswoman and Senior Sports Athlete Award nominations should be for achievements attained during the period November 2017 to September 2018. For all other categories a time period is irrelevant.
- Nominations will only be considered for individuals/teams that either reside, participate in a club or attend school within the Moray area.
- Individuals who have made their contribution as part of paid employment will be exempt.
- A panel from sportMoray and relevant partners will be selected to identify category winners. The decision of this panel is final.
- Nominations will only be accepted for sports recognised by sportscotland.
- A shortlist of nominations will take place prior to the Awards night.
- Candidates that are shortlisted for the Awards Night will receive either a commended or highly commended certificate. Only those receiving a highly commended certificate will be considered for the overall category Award.
- Completed nomination forms and supporting information should be returned no later than Friday 28 September.
- It is requested that applicants also submit footage/photographs via email/CD/disc of individuals/teams nominated in action for their sport, which will be used if shortlisted at the Awards evening.