The Physical Activity, Sport and Health strategy for Moray 2016-2026 has a vision to embed Physical Activity and Sport in the lives of the Moray community. You can access a copy of the strategy here: Physical-activity-sport-and-health-strategy
The January – June Sports Programme for 2018 can be accessed here : Sports Dev Brochure Jan-Jun 2018
A Sports Calendar of Events taking place in Moray in 2018 is also available – 2018 Events. The calendar focusses on mainly jogging, running, orienteering and triathlon events as it was agreed by these clubs that a Moray calendar was required to save clashing of events as the number of running events in Moray is remarkable.
The Chris Anderson Fund is open to 8-18yr olds residing in the Grampian area. People can only apply to this fund if they are competing in their sport at a minimum of District League standard. A written assessment from the persons lead coach also needs to be submitted with the application form – Form. Next deadline date is 9th February 2018 at 12noon.
Who we are
Sports Development lies within the Lifelong Learning, Culture and Sport Section of the Education and Social Care Department. The team is made up of the Sports Development Officer, Rugby Development Officer, Community Sports Hub Development Officer, Macmillan Move More Development Officer and a team of Sports Coaches and Assistants.
Vision and Outcomes
A number of agencies and organisations in Moray devised the Physical Activity, Sport and Health Strategy for Moray 2016-2026. The vision of this strategy is that ‘Physical Activity and Sport are embedded in the lives of the Moray community’.
The 5 Outcomes of the strategy are as follows;
- We provide a strategic approach to the operation and management of our sport and leisure facilities (both natural and built environment).
- We encourage, enable and support opportunities for people in Moray to participate, progress and achieve in sport/physical activity.
- We develop, support and strengthen both the paid and volunteer physical activity and sporting workforce in Moray.
- We recognise, highlight and showcase how sport/physical activity can benefit people and the local community and how it is intrinsic to daily life.
- We provide strategic direction, co-ordination and support to achieve our vision of embedding sport and physical activity into the lives of the Moray community.
What we do
The Sports Development Team undertake a variety of duties within their remit. The following are some key areas where they focus their efforts;
- providing activities for people of all ages to participate in
- supporting sports clubs to thrive and develop
- train and mentor sports coaches and volunteers
- develop partnerships to pull resources, skills and expertise together for the benefit of the community
- developing talent and excellence in sport
Working with Partners
We work with a range of public, private and voluntary partners to assist in the implementation of the Physical Activity, Sport and Health strategy. Some of these partners include Third Sector Interface Moray, Outf!t Moray, SportScotland, NHS Grampian, Forestry Commission, Moray College, Moray Leisure Centre, Moray Sports Centre, sportMoray, National Governing Bodies of Sport and Paths for All.